Monday, March 05, 2007

Make a screenshot using a Mac.

Just recently, last week, I purchased a new laptop. I was in need of a smaller and lighter laptop and the side effect was that i could give my old laptop running Ubuntu Linux to my girlfriend to use during here new study. After some searching I found myself i favor of a MacBook, a very nice designed laptop, a great looking operating system and a Linux/UNIX like operating system under the nice graphics layer.

Even do I already have a MacMini for some time I still do not know in detail how the Mac operating system is working. I used my MacMini mostly for surfing the web and do some graphics design however for the rest is mostly been a toy to play with and it never became a serious computer. However, now I have a MacBook I will have to find out all the secrets of mac because this computer will be my traveling mate for the upcoming time and most of the stuff I will be working on will be done from this laptop. I will have my work laptop but this will be running Windows so for all the good stuff I will need to know how to operate a Mac.

Looking under the hood there is running Darwin, an open-source UNIX like operating system which I can manage and understand. The problem is more in the graphical mode. All the new buttons and toys to play with... and it all looks real great. Now I have to start mastering it.

One of the questions that came to mind was how do I make a simple screenshot. Looking at the keyboard I could not find a "printscreen" button and looking in the menu and the application folder I was unable to locate a screenshot application. However David Battino from O'Reilly came to the rescue.

  • Command+Shift+3 : Capture entire screen and save as a file
  • Command+Control+Shift+3 : Capture entire screen and copy to the clipboard
  • Command+Shift+4 : Capture dragged area and save as a file
  • Command+Control+Shift+4 : Capture dragged area and copy to the clipboard
  • Command+Shift+4 then Space bar : Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and save as a file
  • Command+Control+Shift+4 then Space bar : Capture a window, menu, desktop icon, or the menu bar and copy to the clipboard
For his complete guide for making a good screenshot using a mac you can look at this article named Mac OS-X Screenshot Secrets.

No comments: